Oreos, tuna sandwiches, kielbasas and … dirt? 11 mothers spill their craziest cravings.
With the March For Life in the news recently, our social media feeds have been packed full of images of expectant mothers and precious little ones. And while it’s been a great joy to see all those marching, it also got me thinking about just how crazy pregnancy can be.
While husbands will never really be able to understand how it feels to have a tiny little human growing inside of you and the myriad of realities that come along with that, we do have insight into at least one small facet of the experience: the cravings.
MORE TO READ: 10 things never to say to a pregnant woman
Not only because we show our love by crawling out of bed at three in the morning to search the fridge for just the right kind of cheese, but because we seem to have a tendency to catch the craving bug as well. Please tell me I’m not the only one who craves alongside my wife and gains this sympathy weight that I’m still trying to get rid of all the years later!
With all that in mind, I took to the corners of Twitter to see just how crazy the cravings get out there in pregnancy land, and as usual, Twitter did not disappoint:
1. Odious milk & cookies
Maria Johnson (@bego): I craved Milk. I hate milk. Therefore I had to have oreos to help me drink the odious milk.
2. A side of Six Flags, coming up!
Karen Tighe (@donteatitsmine): Does craving a ride on a roller coaster count?
@theghissilent Does craving going on a roller coaster count? 🎢— Karen Tighe (@DontEatItsMine) January 30, 2017
3. Of all the things to crave from the garden …
Rachel Balducci (@rachelbalducci): The smell of dirt. That’s not weird is it?
@theghissilent the smell of dirt. That's not weird is it?— Rachel Balducci (@RachelBalducci) January 30, 2017
4. Two lettuce heads are better than one
Lizzy R-E (@bayoucitygirl): Salads—for breakfast! Happened a LOT with my son.
@theghissilent salads -- for breakfast! Happened a LOT with my son.— Lizzy R-E (@bayoucitygirl) January 30, 2017
5. Gimme that gummy
Catholic Homegirl (@catholichomegirl): Gummy worms.
6. Who ordered the death stare?
My Sisters Brother (@StuffForSisters): To pat the women’s bellies, but I restrain myself.
@theghissilent To pat the women's bellies, but I restrain myself.— My Sisters Brother (@StuffForSisters) January 30, 2017
7. Get ready for a road trip!
Beth Facemyer (@CatholicMumma): A sandwich from a restaurant in Detroit. I lived in Indiana at the time.
@theghissilent a sandwich from a restaurant in Detroit. I lived in Indiana at the time.— Beth Facemyer (@catholicmumma) January 30, 2017
8. Those $5 footlong commercials must really work
Hungry Catholic (@HungryCatholic): Subway tuna sandwiches. It hurts my heart to type that now.
@theghissilent Subway tuna sandwiches. It hurts my heart to type that now.— Hungry Catholic (@hungrycatholic) January 30, 2017
9. If you can’t have sushi, but still need something raw
Dan Sierras (@SFGiantsFanDan1): I remember having to go out in the middle of the night for my wife to get raw bell peppers.
@theghissilent I remember having to go out in the middle of the night for my wife to get raw bell peppers— Dan Sierras (@sfgiantsfandan1) January 30, 2017
10. Baby food is for moms, too … right?
Egregious Twaddle (@EgTwaddle): Fried kielbasa and Gerber strained plums with tapioca baby food. Not at the same time, but still.
@theghissilent Fried kielbasa and Gerber strained plums with tapioca baby food. Not at the same time, but still.— Egregious Twaddle (@EgTwaddle) January 30, 2017
MORE TO READ: I wish I wasn’t so jealous over my friend’s pregnancy
11. I’ll have a wham-burger with fierce-fries a and a fruit punch
Adelaide Mena (@AddieMMena): The blood of my enemies. But seriously—just super mad all the time.
@theghissilent the blood of my enemies— Adelaide Mena (@AddieMMena) January 30, 2017
(But seriously- just super mad all the time)
Pregnancy is a time unlike any other, and the wild food cravings are a great example of that. On a typical day, you probably wouldn’t be chugging the juice from a pickle jar while polishing off a double scoop of Rocky Road ice cream, but when you’re blessed with the joy of carrying around the supreme gift of marriage for nine months, pretty much anything goes!
What are some of your most bizarre pregnancy cravings? Tell us in the comments!
- 9 expert tips for a calmer, happier child’s bedroom
- How to overcome your insecurities during sex
- Simple style: The only weekend outfit you need
- When Chris Pratt is homesick, this is his go-to Bible verse
- How Audrey Hepburn defied the Oscars red carpet
- 26 simple & unique cross necklaces
- Mistakes in life happen, even at the Oscars
- Mistakes in life happen, even at the Oscars
- The ‘best dress’ at the Oscars that everyone should be talking about
- This baby detected his mother’s breast cancer, saving her life
- The health benefits of having a ‘good cry,’ explained by a psychologist
- In defense of skipping the gym
- The Oscars: Six who will win… and six who should
- Are you an introvert? How to be confident in social situations
- These adorable Instagram triplets will melt your heart (PHOTOS)
- Is the wedding night your first time? Let these pointers give you peace of mind